Hip Hop gets a Nomination for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 11:20 PM
Flash Gets Rockin' Nomination

"For the first time ever, a rap group has been nominated for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

In order to be considered for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, 25 years must pass since an artist's first release. Bronx's Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five released their first single, "Supperrappin'" in 1979; making them eligible for 2005's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame class and perhaps ushering in a new era of hip-hop nominees.

But the surprise nomination for the class of '05 remains Grandmaster Flash. The Bronx-born DJ helped launch the global phenomena known as hip-hop innocuously enough by performing at New York parties in the late 1970s. He is largely credited with helping invent the entire genre by pioneering scratching and other DJ basics. Flash later hooked up with rappers the Furious Five for hits like the socially conscious "The Message" and the breakout club-hit 'White Lines (Don't Don't Do It).' "

I happen to think that's pretty freakin' cool. I consider Grandmaster Flash to be one of the first and strongest influences to bringing hip hop out into the mainstream. Him and Run Dmc deserve that credit.

And of course, people are going to have a fit because of that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" type of attiude when it comes to art of Rock and Roll. People are going to say that Rap doesn't belong in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because it isn't music.

That statement always left me cold. Not music? Not Rock and Rock? Isn't that a bit... I don't know, stupid to say. Isn't this what a lot of people said about New Wave as well? How can music using a synthesizer be as real and moving as the power behind a gutiar?

And then I start to think that people are missing the point behind the spirit of Rock and Roll. It's a movement. A feeling in your soul. Passion, if you will. A rebellion. It's everything that you want it to be.. Music has been created for those who want it... My folks listened to everything from Led Zepplin to the Carpenters. My mom hates punk music. My dad hates dance music. I discovered the anger and rebellion of Punk music when I was a teenager. I became one with Synth Pop when I was 16. I head banged along Metallica... I grooved to Run Dmc while staying late night, doing my homework.

Each genre... Each style... Each Song... All of the lyrics meant something to me. And that's what should matter.

And Rap... is here for those souls who feel the music. Who let loose on the dance floor on a saturday night, after working hard the past week. No one is forcing you to like that genre, but you must have respect for it. It's passion... it's anger... it's soul baring.. it's truth.. it too is Rock and Roll.